The Happy Days on Henderson Planning Committee has put out a call for volunteers for the 16th Annual Happy Days on Henderson on June 17, 2017 from 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM (Facebook Event link).
Happy Days on Henderson is a FREE and fun event for the entire family. Volunteers are needed for a variety of roles including, but not limited to, canvassing before the event, set-up in the early morning, greeters, helpers at the different stations such as bouncers, carnival games and site clean-up! If you would like to volunteer this year, please let the organizers know by emailing email@example.com with your availability.
Volunteer Orientation Night: (Link to Volunteer Orientation Facebook Event)
Date: Wednesday, June 14th, 2017
Time: 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm with food/refreshments available (Pizza). Please notify us if you have any food allergies.
Location: 81 Henderson Hwy (corner of Henderson and Talbot) at the Happy Days Event Site
R.S.V.P. by May 1, 2017.
April 1st: Rummage Sale at GKM
Gordon King Memorial United Church is having a rummage sale on Saturday, April 1, 2017 from 9:30am-1pm. Household items, toys, furniture, clothing, etc.
April 6th: Women’s Self Defence Workshop
Riverwood Church’s The Refuge program is holding a free women’s self defence workshop on Thursday, April 6th, 2017, 6:30-8:30pm at 325 Talbot Ave (The Firehall). Facilitated by Chris Friesen, this is a women’s-only event, with childcare provided. There is no charge, but registration is required.
To register, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (204) 668-3181 ext. 220
April – June: Home Repair Workshops
There are several free home repair workshops coming up over the next few months as part of the Chalmers Community Renewal Initiative.
April 17: How to Find & Hire a Contractor
April 24: City By-law & Liveability/Manitoba Housing Repair Grants
May 1: How to Maintain your Home Exterior
May 8: How to Fix Electrical
May 15: Manitoba Hydro Program Info/How to Insulate Attics and Walls
May 29: How to Patch and Paint
June 5: Pest Control/How to Fix Foundations
June 12: How to Fix Plumbing
All workshops feature snacks, child minding and door prizes! To register, contact Liz (call/text) at204-333-9867 or email@example.com.
(photo credit: Eric Rothermel)
The neighbourhood is buzzing with the news that a butcher and deli has moved into our area! Henderson Meats and Deli is now open at 260 Henderson Hwy. The store carries fresh and frozen meats, sausage, deli meats, bread, Polish foods, etc.
Store hours are currently 10-5, Monday to Friday, but they are hoping to have longer hours before too long. Find the store on Facebook at “Henderson Meats and Deli 260 Henderson Hwy” or call 222-3019.
A warm Glenelm welcome to Henderson Meats & Deli — we are so glad to have a food store in our area again!
(photo credit: Henderson Meats & Deli Facebook page)
Now that the snow has receded a bit, have you noticed that our neighbourhood isn’t looking quite as clean and tidy as it could? GeNA is excited to be planning a community spring cleanup event in the coming weeks. This will complement the efforts of our young friends at Glenelm School, who help with litter pick-up around this time every year.
Stay tuned for more details and how you can get involved!
(photo credit: Vectorbeast)
Do you have an eye for capturing our picturesque neighbourhood? Want to share your images with the community? GeNA invites all residents to contribute photos to include on our website. Here are some examples of the types of photos we’re looking for:
- Pictures of Elmwood (Roxy) Park
- Pictures of Hespeler Park
- Pictures of trees and street scenes
- Pictures of community events
- Historical pictures
- Pictures from each season
If you’re willing to give permission to the Glenelm Neighbourhood Association to use your photos, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can’t guarantee that all photos will be used, but appreciate all submissions.
(photo credit: Jean-Pierre Brungs)
GeNA held a successful inaugural AGM on Wednesday, January 25th. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Our new board was elected: co-chairs David Pensato and Emma Durand-Wood, secretary Shauna MacKinnon, and treasurer Rosalie Block
- Brock Feenstra shared an update on the progress of the Glenelm and Chalmers Local Area Plan project: residents will have opportunity to provide feedback during the development of a neighbourhood background study to be presented to city council, with the support of the municipal planning department.
- Dale Karasiak brought greetings from the Chalmers Neighbourhood Renewal Association and told us about CNRC’s efforts to negotiate a plan to revitalize the former gas station site/empty lot at the corner of Henderson and Johnson.
- Kara Plett invited anyone with a home business in Glenelm to submit their details to be listed in a directory on the glenelm.ca website. (Email details email@example.com)
- Arlene Reid shared a bunch of upcoming events in Glenelm and surrounding area.
- David Pensato unveiled the brand-new GeNA website (glenelm.ca) and Emma Durand-Wood shared that GeNA has published four newsletters since October 2016, and our mailing list has 84 subscribers (February 22nd update: now at over 100!)
- Emma Durand-Wood gave an update on the “Welcome to Glenelm” sign project on behalf of Joanne Cerilli. About 1/3 of the neighbourhood has been canvassed and about 1/3 of the funds required for our maintenance reserve have been secured. A further $80 was donated to the fund at the AGM – thank you to all who chipped in!
- Shauna MacKinnon invited interested residents to join GeNA’s Safety Committee to explore how to make our neighbourhood a safer place.
- In a highly unscientific poll, attendees named Jo-Ann Paddock’s oatmeal coconut chocolate chip cookies the winner of the cookie table.
The Herald gave us some great media coverage as well: this article is subscriber-only, but worth a read if you can access it! Glenelm residents gather together – Dylon Martin, February 3rd, 2017.
Gordon King Memorial United Church is holding a free pancake supper on Tuesday, February 28th from 5-7pm.
Everyone is welcome, and pancakes, sausages, and drinks will be served.
Silver donations gratefully accepted.
(photo credit: Ornella Binni)
GENA is excited to be supporting the 3rd Annual Elmwood Winter Fun Day, being held on Saturday, February 25th , 1:30-4:30pm at Clara Hughes Recreation Park, 281 Henderson Hwy. Hope to see lots of you there!
(photo credit: Jesse Orrico)
Agenda- Glenelm Neighbourhood Association 2017 AGM & Community Meeting
Our first GENA AGM will be taking place on Wednesday, January 25th, 7:30pm at Gordon King Memorial United Church.
(subject to minor changes; final version will be posted at the meeting entrance)
- Welcome, housekeeping and call to order
- Approval of agenda
- Board nominations from the floor
- Presentation of candidates for board positions of co-chair, secretary and treasurer
- Motion to elect candidates or ballot voting if necessary
- GENA financial update
- Adjournment of AGM business
- Community updates
- Meeting wrap-up
Candidates for GENA Board Elections
We asked the candidates to share (1) their name, (2) their top 3 reasons for wanting to serve on the GENA board, (3) their geographic location in the community, and (4) any previous board experience. Here are their responses.
For Co-Chair (2 positions):
1. David Pensato
2. (a) To be part of building on the strengths and future growth of our neighbourhood. (b) To become more familiar with and to build ties with my neighbours. (c) To help strengthen a sense of community in Glenelm among neighbours and businesses.
3. Hart Ave.
4. I am on the board of The Distillery Communications Pool LTD, and much of my professional work has included working with a variety of company and non-profit boards in the areas of strategic planning, public consultation, and outreach/communications.
- Emma Durand-Wood
- (a) to help build on the great work that’s been done previously by Glenelm residents (b) to develop stronger relationships with neighbours and other community groups, (c) to help keep Glenelm a wonderful place for people of all ages and walks of life
- Cobourg Ave.
- No board experience specifically, but I currently serve on the River East/Transcona Local Health Involvement Group, an advisory council that provides feedback and citizen input to the WRHA’s board of directors. I also served in various capacities on a library technicians’ association for several years.
- Shauna MacKinnon
- (a) To be sociable and meet my neighbors; (b) to help address identified issues and solutions (c) to give back to the community.
- Martin Avenue West
- I have no previous board experience; however, in my professional life I am a member of various committees and working groups.
- Rosalie Block
- (a) I want this committee to succeed as I feel it is a worthwhile cause. I am willing to put in time and effort to help make this a better community (b) I have always grown up that community is important (c) I have lived in the Glenelm Community for 24 years and plan on living here for many more years
- Martin Ave.
- I was a treasurer of the Woman’s Ministry at my Church for 5 years. I have also owned and operated my own business for many years
Upcoming Events in Our Area
Feb 4th: Quiz Night at GKM
Gordon King Memorial United Church is having a Quiz Night Fundraiser on Feb 4th!
Feb 6th: Soapmaking Workshop [update: this has been rescheduled to Feb 20th]
Learn to make soap the old-fashioned traditional way! There will be a soapmaking workshop at Gordon King Memorial United Church on Feb 6th at 7:30pm. [update: this workshop has been rescheduled to Feb 20th at 7:30pm]
Instructor Allan Labun has been making soap for close to 60 years and sources ingredients locally. He is passionate about his craft, and this will be a fun and educational hands-on workshop. Cost is only $3.00 to cover supplies.
Please email Angie at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Please note, registration is limited to 20 people.
(photo credit: Kristina Balic)
Feb 8th: Happy Days on Henderson volunteer meeting
Feb 17th: Murder Mystery & Pasta Dinner Fundraiser
Feb 20th: Sleigh Rides & Hot Chocolate at Elmwood Cemetery
Elmwood Cemetery will be doing a sleigh ride on Monday, February 20, 2017 (Louis Riel Day) from noon- 3pm. Hot chocolate will be provided and donations are gratefully accepted!
(photo credit: Annie Spratt)
Feb 25th: 3rd Annual Elmwood Winter Fun Day
Presented by CNRC and other community groups, the Elmwood Winter Fun Day is held at Clara Hughes Recreation Park the afternoon of Feb 25th. More details will be forthcoming!
(photo credit: Ross Kohl)