Two of GeNA’s valued community partners, Chalmers Neighbourhood Renewal Corporation and the Big Red Church, are hiring youth Green Teams right now!
*** Applications due June 3rd. Please apply directly to the appropriate organization.***
The Big Red Church Now Hiring Youth for Summer Green Team
The Big Red Church has received a grant to hire two youth (aged 15-29) for two half days a week (10:00-2:00) during the summer (From June until August 31).
The youth who assume this position will be responsible for:
- Cutting grass around the church building and in the community garden (directly beside the church) with a gas-powered mower;
- Maintaining green spaces on the church property (e.g., planting flowers/trimming shrubs and deadheading flowers; watering the church flower bed and lawn);
- Controlling the spread of weeds in the grass and church flower bed by using a weed trimmer and hand-pulling weeds;
- Painting the benches, picnic table and other exterior furniture (e.g., community garden signs/plots)
The youth will also work with appropriate personnel to plan recreational activities for children who attend community events within the church (e.g., community pot- luck dinners, Christmas kids’ market, biweekly Parents Morning Out, and annual pancake supper). This will include developing marketing strategies and organizing the supplies for these events.
The salary is $11.65/hr + 4% vacation pay. The two youth will be expected to work approximately 100 hours over the summer.
Regulations pertaining to Covid-19 in regard to social distancing, safety and cleanliness will be strictly adhered to. Training will be provided for all activities required in this position.
If you are interested in finding out more about this position, please contact Barbara Paterson at Barbara1985@shaw.ca
DEADLINE: June 3/20
Chalmers Neighbourhood Renewal Corporation is currently seeking Two (2) Urban Green Team Staff Members to work with us this summer!
Employer: Chalmers Neighbourhood Renewal Corporation (CNRC)
Location: 180 Poplar is the home base, work occurs in the Chalmers neighbourhood in the community of Elmwood
Wage: $11.65 per/hour
Hours: Monday to Friday- 9:00 am to 3:30 pm (weather dependent) occasional evenings or weekends
Duration: To be determined. Max time frame, June 8th to August 28th, 2020
Job Summary: Under the shared guidance of the CNRC staff and the Beautify Elmwood committee chair, Green Team Staff Members will participate in a wide range of community and green team based activities. These will include: community gardening, various clean-up initiatives, flower box supports, assisting with graffiti removal waivers and 311 by-law responses (such as garbage, unkept grass), safety audits, yard maintenance grounds projects and overall community beautification efforts.
- Must be between 15-29 years of age inclusive
- Can work independently and in cooperation with others
- Capable of working outside, weather dependent
- Capable of following direction, taking initiative and being self-motivated
- Ability to do physical labour (able to lift 50 lbs)
- Capacity to use garden/lawn tools such as lawnmowers, grass trimmers
- Willing to provide a Criminal Record Check/consent to Registry Check (Costs covered by CNRC)
- Familiar with Chalmers neighbourhood and Elmwood Community
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME BY EMAIL OR IN PERSON BY JUNE 3rd, 2020 by 5PM
Contact person: Leilani Esteban Villarba
Office: 180 Poplar Avenue, Wpg, MB, R2L 2C3
Phone: (204) 669-0750. Cell: (204) 890-3282
More details at www.manitoba.ca/greenteam
CNRC will be adhering to all COVID 19 Protocols